Sunday, August 11, 2013

Can exercise REALLY be FUN?

I participated in 2 mud runs this year. I've told several people about them. "Why would anyone want to crawl through mud?" and "You could not pay me to do a race that involves climbing ladders and running through water!" were recurring comments I heard. Yet for the thousands of participants in Michigan's various mud events, doing these things is PLAY.

Remember your childhood play - running, jumping, spinning around until you fell down dizzy and laughing? There is a unique joy in seeing what your body can do. Exercise is not just going to the gym to walk/jog on a treadmill. It can be any movement that puts a smile on your face - dance, shoot hoops, play tag... Perhaps return to your childhood. A hula-hoop is a great abdominal exercise. A jump rope is an incredible weight loss tool.

Looking back on my childhood, my neighbor and I could entertain ourselves for hours with a frisbee. Can you add some play back to your fitness routine?

To see my before/after MS Muckfest pictures, check out https://www.facebook.com/BetterLivingAnnArbor
While you are there, please hit the "Liked" button.

Happy exercising!
Mark

No comments: