Wednesday, November 9, 2016

A Passion for Fitness Results: Introducing Better Living Fitness Trainer Jesse Richards

Jesse Richards' career as a personal trainer and fitness expert started with a cadaver.

He admits that this sounds a bit creepy, but as a student at Hope College, Jesse took an anatomy class – a class that included a visit to Hope College's cadaver lab.

And while some people might have found the experience uncomfortable, Jesse says it inspired him to learn everything he could about how our bodies work.

“I decided I wanted a greater understanding of how God created us, and to learn the purpose of each of our muscles, organs, tendons, and joints,” he says.
Jesse with Better Living Fitness Client Joey Mullick

Jesse followed his passion all the way to a Bachelor's degree in Exercise Science. Along the way, he was selected for internships as a strength and conditioning trainer for student athletes at Hope College, Oakland University, and the University of Michigan.

Today, Jesse says, he loves working with Better Living Fitness clients because he's thrilled when his clients achieve the results they're looking for.

“When I was working with student athletes I had a huge passion for athletics and seeing my students get results on and off the field,” he says.

“As a personal trainer, my passion has shifted. Instead of helping a swimming star improve their time by a few seconds, now I get to help people heal injuries that have bothered them for years – and I get to be there when one of my clients, who hasn't been able to lose a pound in ten years, is able to drop twenty pounds.”

While he doesn't currently have any athletes as personal training clients, Jesse says he works with a wide range of people, from folks who are athletic to others who have never exercised before. But whether a new client is a weekend-warrior athlete or a member of Couch Potatoes Anonymous, Jesse says that he particularly loves working with people who are motivated to reach their goals and willing to try new things to help them reach those goals.

In addition to working with clients, Jesse's favorite aspect of working at Better Living Fitness is our team approach to helping clients with their health and fitness.

“Every one of the trainers on the Better Living staff has different areas of expertise, so we can help each other out. If I have a client with an issue I haven't seen before, I can bring that issue up in one of our staff meetings – and someone else will have an answer that I can use to help my client succeed,” he says.

“This team approach is pretty different from any place else I've worked as a personal trainer.”

Work out with Jesse: click here to schedule your first personal training
Jesse with Better Living Fitness client Dawn Weirauch
session!

Take a class with Jesse: Jesse teaches Full Body Fit on Thursdays at 5 pm, and CVT at 8:15 am on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Check out our memberships, which include these fitness classes, here.

No comments: